All Articles

All Cork Sports News Articles

Cork City 1 Dundalk 0

by October 22, 2019

Cork City 1 (Daire O’Connor 44) Dundalk 0

By Eoin Donovan.

It was the recent survivors of relegation who won this league fixture by a one goal margin against the league champions, Dundalk, thanks to a goal from Daire O’ Connor.

The first 10 minutes of this game presented us with no real chances as neither side created anything within the first quarter of an hour.

The game’s first real chance came in the 17th minute when O’ Connor took a shot from distance only for his effort to be denied by Aaron McCarery.

The next 10 minutes of this game saw City under a lot of pressure from the visitors but they did well to keep them out as Alec Byrne cleared a dangerous Dundalk cross in the 32nd minute.

Five minutes later, Brendan O’Brien Whitmarsh got the better of Chris Shields in the air before running at the Dundalk defence as he looked to pick out Gearoid Morrissey only for it to be cleared by Sean Murray.

The Turner’s Cross based outfit then went ahead on the stroke of half-time as Whitmarsh opened up the Lilywhite defence before picking out O’Connor and he shot past McCarery to send the home team into the interval leading by one goal to nil.

Both teams came out with fighting spirts in the latter half of this evenly matched game as Cork City looked to double their lead while the Louth based outfit pushed on in search of an equaliser.

The opening chance of this half came in the 52nd minute when City captain, Conor McCarthy headed the ball narrowly wide from a free kick which was whipped in from Ronan Hurley.

The next chance of the game came just before the hour mark when Jamie McGrath took a shot for the away team only to see his one on one effort brilliantly saved by City keeper, Tadhg Ryan.

The next opportunity then came in the 68th minute when a Michael Duffy shot from a free kick from 20 yards sail oover the crossbar.

Dundalk had another opportunity shortly afterwards when Pat Hoban tried his luck from a set piece only for his free kick to be saved by Tadgh Ryan in the City goal.

The next 20 minutes of this league fixture saw both teams pressing on only for neither of them to create anything worth talking about as the home team went on to win this fixture by a one goal margin thanks to what was one of their best performances of the season.